Driving License does not only allow you to legally drive your vehicle on the road but also acts as an important identity proof. In case your driving license is stolen, lost or damaged, you can get a duplicate driving license by contacting the RTO that issued your license. Also, some RTOs offer online facility using which you can file for duplicate driving license.
In case you have lost your original driving license or if it has been stolen or mutilated, you can get a duplicate driving license from the same RTO that issued your DL. You can apply for a duplicate DL either online or directly at the RTO without any hassles. Read on to find more about applying for duplicate driving license in India.
Documents Required for Duplicate Driving License
- Application Form LLD (for intimation of loss or destruction of driving license and application for duplicate)
- A First Instance Report (FIR) or NCR of the licence, in case it is lost or stolen.
- Original Licence (if he same is in a torn, mutilated or soiled state).
- Attested photocopies of the original driver licence (in case the same is lost).
- Details of the Driving Licence
- Passport sized photographs
- Address Proof documents for reference
- Age proof documents for reference
Online Procedure to apply for a Duplicate DL
Some state RTOs offer the feature to apply for a duplicate driving license online. You can Google the same to see if that facility is offered by the State Transport Department on their website.
- You will have to completely fill and submit the LLD form. Also, you will have an Upload option where you will be able to upload all necessary documents.
- You will be required to take a printout of the completely filled form LLD. Attach photographs wherever necessary and sign the form.
- Handover the form at the RTO office from where you originally got your Driving License from. Submit all necessary documents. You will not be required to take the Driving test again to get a duplicate license.
- Once this is done, the duplicate driving license will be sent to your registered home address via post. Also, you will be given a receipt which can be used in lieu of driving license till you get your duplicate Driving License.
Offline Procedure to get a Duplicate Driving License
Applying for a Duplicate Driving License at the RTO is easier than online application if you stay close to the RTO that issued your original Driving License. Follow the steps given below to get your duplicate Driving License from the RTO without any hassles.
- Visit the RTO that issued your Driving License. Procure a Form LLD which is for the application of duplicate driving license. Fill the form completely and sign the form.
- Submit the form and attach all supporting documents as mentioned in the previous sections. Additional documents might be asked for depending on the reason of applying for a duplicate license.
- You will be required to pay a nominal fee for getting your duplicate driving license. Once this is done, you will get a receipt which can be used in place of a driving license till you get a duplicate license. The duplicate driving license will be sent to your registered home address via post.
Application Form for Duplicate DL
Being informed about the things that you will be required to present in the application form will help you get a duplicate driving license without any hassles. You will be required to fill the form LLD for getting a duplicate license. Given below are some of the information that will be asked in Form LLD.
- You will be required to enter the full name and address as it was mentioned in the driving license.
- In the Form LLD, you will have to mention the reason of applying for a duplicate driving license. If the license was destroyed, torn, lost, defaced or mutilated, you must mention in what circumstances the loss happened.
- Also, you will be required to enter the driving license number, class of motor vehicle for which the driving license was held, name of driving license holder, licensing authority and the expiry date of the license.
- You must also present a declaration that your Driving license was not impounded by any authority.
- Once you have entered all the information, you should sign the application and enter the place and date. Also, you must also sign in the place provided for specimen signature.
- If you choose to fill the form online, you can reset or save the information which will be a big benefit. Also, you will receive a copy of the form in PDF format which you can print out and submit at the RTO after signing.